Thursday, January 13, 2011

Song of the Week (Boyz II Men - Motown Philly)

Welp, my sister and brother-in-law are moving to Philly. WTF!? I'm just playin. I actually think it's pretty sweet. I hear there are some pretty cool haircuts out there, and I'm looking forward to learning if Philly hipsters are hipper than Austin hipsters...me thinks not.

In salute to Philadelphia I perused the Philly music wikipedia page, however even before I did this, I knew what the SOTW was gonna be: Motown Philly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHzkICG47LU

This choice was made even more difficult when I discovered that Hall & Oates hail from the city of Brotherly Love...watch out for Maneaters (YIKES!).

Couldn't we all use a little more East Coast Swang in our lives? I sure could. If someone bottled East Coast Swang, I would drank it...so long as it had a similar composition to that of 4Loko.

The more important distinction here is that Zard and Stanton, up until this point, were simply Boyz with dreams. Now...well now they are Men...and they are goin' off! Not too hard, not too soft.

If you take nothing else away from this experience, please learn to harmonize...that's definitely the best part of the song. If I were a bully back in the day in Philly, and I heard Boyz II Men do this, I would totally wanna pound em (a la Buzz from Home Alone), but I wouldn't be able to, because it just sounded too sweet. You've escaped this round Boyz II Men...

Special bday shout out to Zard and Tom-bone. Tom, you're also a Boyz II Man.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment