Thursday, February 17, 2011

Song of the Week (Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone)

I caught part of a documentary on Bill Withers the other day entitled "Still Bill". There was nothing particularly awesome about the documentary, except that Bill Withers is just a total badass.

Popstars and crooners of today could stand to learn a great deal from Messr Withers. I would hazard to guess that Bill never had a personal stylist. He probably never wore makeup. He also didn't have an over-choreographed stage show that focused more on dance moves than on the music. I'm looking in your direction Chris Brown?

Did anyone else catch Chris Brown's atrocity-laden performance on SNL last week (as an aside, I've been sick, so I've had a lot of TV time lately...what else was I gonna do?) I had to listen to an hour of the Withers just to wash the bad taste out of my ears. If I had a choice between going tandem sky-diving with Robert Mugabe and attending a Chris Brown concert, I would ask Mugabe if he wants to be the big spoon or the little spoon. Chris Brown...Ess a Dee.

So I would like to juxtapose the SOTW: "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" with Chris Brown's "Yeah 3x". Sweet name btw.

Withers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo
Brown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HuGSqQN-uE

FYI...Bill Withers' drummer is clearly ballin' outta control.

Bday shout out to Benjamin Bunny and T. Smith.

Hope you dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment