Friday, August 26, 2011

Song of the Week (Daft Punk - One More Time)

All apologies for taking a few weeks off. I had to go to NorCal with my travel partner (not to be confused with life partner) PT. Normally, I would do some sort of road-trip or vacay-inspired SOTW submission, however, this week is dedicated to High School.

As some of you LHHS Wildcat blog subscribers may already know, this weekend is the Class of '01, 10-year HS reunion. Coincidentally, it's also the Class of '81, 30-year HS reunion...I digress.

Some of us have been waiting for this moment for 10 years...others have been waiting since 10 minutes ago. I'm certain a reunion means different things to different people. Some people will enjoy seeing some of the old friends they haven't kept up with or F-book stalked. Some people are dreading seeing the one-that-got-away. Some people will recall bittersweet memories of starting a lawn mowing business out of a buddy's PT Cruiser and tearing the garage door down because "someone" left the back hatch open. That person may recall his Mom making him sleep in a cot in the driveway as punishment because his Dad was out of town... Many will hearken back to a time when your biggest worry was getting a coveted spot in someone's car for the weekend, en route to some parking lot, conducive to booze consumption. Others won't even attend. One thing is a near certainty: it will be interesting.

I don't think these were "the times of our lives" as some of us would like to believe. But they were definitely times. Sure, we'll see a few Uncle Rico's at the reunion. I bet we'll also have some Jerry Springer moments, but personally, I like life post-HS way better. Although, I wouldn't mind having unlimited time again...and a nicer cat named Sam...

Daft Punk's "One More Time" was our Senior Song, if there is such a thing. Looking back, I'm a little surprised we got that one through the gauntlet. Who would have thought with all the terrible music out there, we could achieve such a classy song from that French electro-powerhouse known as Daft Punk? I'm talking about 2001, before Kanye and T-Pain butchered the vocoder, in a pre-Kesha world. 2001 had it's share of awfulness, but we're not here to remember that are we. Can you feel the teen angst coming back? I hope I get a date to the Sadie Hawkins Dance...

As with all Daft Punk vids, prepare for some cartoon/weirdness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8

As an aside, I give you the Friday Song (Battleflag by Lo Fi Allstars to be played in a black 4-Runner at approximately 4:30pm on Friday after school / wrestling practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuwWvPGul3o
Pretty cool video, that I didn't see until this week.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment