Thursday, December 22, 2011

Song of the Week - X-Mas Edition (Sleigh Bells - Riot Rhythm)

Is it weird to say that I'm not really a Christmas music guy? Maybe not. When you think about it, Christmas music is so strange. There isn't a whole lot of innovation. It's basically just new (and old) artists singing old covers. Can you think of another event or genre that is covered and re-covered this much? Just type "Christmas music" into google and tell me this isn't insane. The whole imagery is strange too. Most of it isn't even religious. It's just lyrics about weird traditions, mythical beasts that fly and an ancient red ninja that lives in the permafrost.

My Mom used to tell me and my sister stories about Melvin who is a young giraffe. Typically, these stories were parables invented on the fly. Melvin had an arch-nemesis named Micah who is a snake. Micah was always trying to get Melvin to do bad stuff (cheat at the carnival, be mean to his sister, steal toys). Clearly this was my Mom's way of teaching us ethics (occasionally retrospectively) through mythology/trickery. My point here is (religion aside), Santa Claus was invented on the fly by someone's "Mom" to trick their kids into being nice. This is my theory.

Lastly, wouldn't it be strange if someone wrote a bunch of songs about the adventures of Melvin? And then artists went on to cover and re-cover these songs ad nauseum. Real strange, but I'd check that out...for sure.

With all of this in mind, I give you a completely unrelated song by the misleadingly Christmas-esqu Sleigh Bells (Riot Rhythm)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6OhdzB843w&feature=related

This video is pretty strange (aren't they all?). Basically, this guy with a beard teaches a young kid how to dominate in chess. Pretty standard. Sleigh Bells was either #1 or #2 on the most dominant concerts of 2011 list. So, coupled with their festive name, they get the rarely awarded SOTW: X-Mas edition shout out. Maybe I do like Christmas music?

Stay tuned for:
1) SOTY (Song of the Year)
2) That secret SOTW I've been working on

Shout out to Jesus.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment