Friday, September 2, 2011

Album of the Week (M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming)

When I came across an advance copy of M83s instant classic album: "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming", you might as well have told me in your Maury voice that "I'm not the father!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt2i0ts-uck

The Intro track alone, blew my mind. I implore you all to go out and get this album. My itunes tells me I've listened to at least 5 of the songs more than 20x. That's some pretty heavy rotation.

You know what I love about M83? They deliver every time. I've come to realize that I'm not a big believer in bands that "reinvent" themselves. M83 delivers the same lush, synthy awesomeness every time.

Think about it: would you continue buying Coca-Cola if one day Coke decided to make it taste more like high-end cat food? Probably not. This is how I feel about countless bands who had a winning formula and decided to "branch out":

Modest Mouse going Pop
Dream Theater trying to go more Hardcore/Screamo
Kanye West talking

People like consistency, and M83 is f'ing consistent. Let's not confuse this with a distaste for growth. Growth is a great thing. Metallica came a long way from Kill em All to the Black Album. Am I wrong?

In like fashion, M83 went from no vocals, to some vocals, to primarily female vocals, to primarily male vocals. But M83 never lost its sound. Sometimes radio-friendly 80s-ish, but mostly just good old-fashioned radio-phobic shoe-gazey dream-pop.

Sadly there aren't any decent new videos from the new album yet, but don't fret. Here's some audio for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDyonn3mQj8

As an aside, last week I went to Jackson Hole with my family. Shout out to my family. We saw some pretty sweet buffaloes / geysers. Anyways, I listened to this album when I was mountain biking in the Tetons...pretty much one of the most legit things I've ever done alone...until I fell end-over-end, which didn't really matter, because Track 5 was playing when I scrambled up.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment