Thursday, September 15, 2011

Song of the Week ACL edition (TVOTR - various)

It's that special time again: ACL! Thus marks the end of summer and one of the greatest weekends of the year. Needless to say, I'm on pinz and needlz.

The receiver of the coveted SOTW endorsement is clearly TV on the Radio ("TVOTR"). Seriously, who else could it be? Sure Arcade Fire are peaking right now, and who could argue the awesomeness of Death from Above 1979 (both previously featured on SOTW), but TVOTR is just too dominant. I've clearly been listening to them a lot lately. I'm just so in awe of how different they sound than every other band out there today. If there was a Venn diagram with Unique over one circle and Rad over the other, TVOTR would be firmly in the middle, capturing equal shares of each. I've been doing some graphing lately...

If you aren't traveling to Austin this weekend (I wish you would), fret not. TVOTR is playing in Dallas Friday (TONIGHT) at HOB! As an aside, Explosions in the Sky is also playing in Dallas tonight. I'm almost grateful that I won't be here because I would have to decide between 2 of the greatest bands of the last decade. I implore you: go see one of these if you are in Dallas, and you don't have to cat-sit this weekend. If you aren't in Texas this weekend...I feel bad for you, sun...

Here's a semi-old school fave (Wolf Like Me):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-xRk6llh4
It's a quirky video, and baller. If only I was as cool as the least cool member in TVOTR...

Even older-school and the first TVOTR song I heard whilst living in Sydney (Staring at the Sun):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uo2WLQ2LVA
Yout tube comment: "damn. black people rule"

More recent (Second Song):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwYM2t22h_E
Killer

Bday shout out to Scarff...thanks for keeping me honest on the SOTW

Hope you Dig,
JZ

1 comment: