Friday, February 10, 2012

Song of the Week (DJ Shadow ft. Little Dragon - Scale It Back)

Welp...it's been a few minutes since the last SOTW...all apologies. Needless to say, a lot of great music has happened in that time.

This week brings us something a little more avant garde. Dap/props to Chet for sending this along a few weeks back. I hope Dap makes a comeback.

DJ Shadow is a colossus in the world of post-hip hop and sampled music. He's best known for creating the masterpiece, Endtroducing consisting entirely of sampled music and sounds circa 1996. The real beauty of this skill is that his music sounds completely original. Compare this to Girl Talk, by most accounts a successful sampler. But his mashups are created to remind you of songs you already know and love. He wants you to recognize a Van Halen guitar lick or a Tupac rhyme and reminisce. PS my roommate Patrick was mashing-up back in High School. It was called: Pumpkin Party.

DJ Shadow, on the other hand, seeks to grab strange, esoteric beats, licks, piano parts, vocals, etc. and create truly original music that bends genres.

I'm not sure how he built this track, but it's all I can think about for the last few weeks. Little Dragon band/vocalist, obviously has a lot to do with that. You'll hear more about this incredible new fave Indie band known as Little Dragon (great name) in coming weeks. No fancy wobble bass, no overproduction...just clean drums, acoustic piano and vocals...well maybe some production.

The video is pretty crazy as well...and by pretty crazy, I mean RILL crazy (watch the whole thing).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj2l-emoW2g

Thus concludes the music portion of SOTW, and thus begins my diatribe on something I heard last week. I asked this guy how he was doing, and he said: "You know, I'm ballin' on a budget." I love this phrase. He wasn't the first to say it, but he is the first to say it to me, in which I laughed. It's not quite the $30k millionaire. It says, hey! I ball! But I'm practical about it.

Who can't relate to ballin' on a budget? I'm not sure many of my friends are truly ballin' yet (including this author), but thus begs the question: how does one truly ball...off a budget? Is truly ballin' just the absence of a budget? In that case I know tons of people who are ballin'...not to be confused with BOCMF (Ballin' Outta Control Muthr F#kr).

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment