Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Song of the Week (Sleigh Bells - Comeback Kid)

Oh man...nu Sleigh Bells just dropped, and it is so RAD! One thing I love about this band is that they have pop sensibilities combined with an intentional disregard / distaste for pop. English: they write stuff that sounds good but they don't give an eff about mass appeal, choreography, etc.! I realize I'm setting myself up for disappointment here, but for now Sleigh Bells is in the perfect zone of indie-cuspiness to maintain ultimate street cred. Think: Arcade Fire circa 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXP4Rhu5pJo

After watching the video for the "Comeback Kid" I noticed a few things:Link
1) Alexis Krauss is still super-hawt
2) Jumping on beds with guns seems like a really good idea (not sure why I'm just now drawing this conclusion)
3) Alexis has some sick new dance moves, which I plan to incorporate into my "rock moves" collection alongside the "brickbreaker" and the ever-versatile "raven"

Sleigh Bells are either an enigma or a very clever marketing gimmick. Their songs feel like the soundtrack to an evil pep rally. It's what you would listen to before competing in Battle Royale, or on your way home from work on Friday. Honestly, 16-year-old John is freaking out right now, because metal is being combined with electronica and hawt girls aka Rick Santorum's nightmare.

Quick update on cultural happenings: Unless you've been captured by robots, you've probably heard of "cat breading".
http://www.breadedcats.com/

Some of you have asked: "Hey JZ, has Sam the Cat been breaded yet?" This is how it went down: When I told my Dad what I wanted to do, he just stared at me confused and said: "Sammy wouldn't like that." I told him: "that's for Sammy to decide." We agreed that if I can catch him, I can bread him. Alas, Sam must have been eavesdropping on our breading convo, because he would have none of it. He evaded me all across the house, ending up under my parent's bed in battle-cat pose. I conceded defeat, but I haven't forgotten. After all this cat breading craze has died down...when he least suspects it...I'm gonna be all like: PAKOWWW! Bread in yo FACE, SAMMY! Then he will have to sit there, embarrassed as I snap his photo for all of the other cats and people to mock...Wahahahaha!

Birthday/Farewell shoutout to young T-Smith. Good to know we will have another master out in L.A. You'll be missed.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment