Thursday, March 25, 2010

Song of the Week (Calloway - I Want to Be Rich)

OK, I have to give credit where credit is due. My boy Mark Turner sent me this little gem earlier in the week, and I nearly lost it. I can't stress this enough...please watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztk9t_m1FpY

The video tells a story, really a parable, about money...and more specifically the lack of said monies, and the desire for increases in amounts in one's pockets. I imagine the filming of the video was more than loosely based on reality and the thought process went something like this:

1) OK...you with the long hair...do some dumbell curls. I'm gonna iron this shirt to get the wrinkles out (basically, we're doing werk tonight...ya heard?)
2) OH HEEELLLL NAW! Notice of vehicle repossesion!? You paid the bill...right? No?! ...tears
3) Clearly all of my problems would dissappear with some a dat cash! (as an aside, Calloway clearly never met Biggie Smalls, because where there are increases of money, increases of problems are sure to follow):

This is the point in the video where it become more indescribable. You just have to watch and enjoy these incredible dance moves and all-around baller-ness. Such style...such composure...cue hot crazy girl fan attempting to maul Calloway on stage...

By the way, what's the f'ing deal with the drummer? I'm speechless...

As an aside, weren't r&b artists and rappers (of the non-gangsta variety) whimsical back in the 90s? It was as if my 2nd grade teacher (Mrs. Wilson) asked all of these guys what they want to be when they grow up:

1) Skee-Low (remember that guy?) - I wish I was taller
2) Vanilla Ice - Go Ninja Go Ninja Go (I mean I liked Ninja Turtles too!...when I was 11...)
3) Calloway - I want to be Rich


Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment