Thursday, March 4, 2010

Song of the Week (DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World)

For those of you who like cool sh!t, you're in for a treat. DJ Shadow is truly a master of the turntables and has created/sampled some of the greatest songs (to chill to) of all time. The album, Endtroducing was the first album to be created entirely from sampled material, using an MPC. I get mixed reviews when I go off the reservation (so to speak) and pull out some lesser-known gems, but I assure you, that you will like this, or you simply have bad taste in music. There! I said it! I apologize...for hurting your feelings.

Excerpt from the Wikipedia page:
NPR included Endtroducing..... in its list of the top 300 American songs and albums of the 20th century,[2] and Spin placed the album at number 69 in its list of the 100 greatest albums between 1985 and 2005 in June 2005.[3] In 2006, the album was chosen by TIME as one of the 100 best albums of all time.[4].

http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/DJShadow/Midnight-In-A-Perfect-World--2147089

The title to this song is "Midnight in a Perfect World". The video is DJ Shadow's interpretation of his personal Utopia, along with spliced videos of samples he used. It's an amazing video that stands on its own. I like this video because it's 1 part Art, 1 part Passion, and 1 part Cool.

Midnight in MY Perfect World would go something like this:
1) I invent a new instrument called the Laser Fist that I quickly master (fairly self explanatory).

2) Massive Attack, RJD2, M.I.A. and DJ Shadow are so impressed with the Laser Fist that they ask me to do a Live Colab in a giant Hotel Room that is entirely covered in various Mirrors (you know, for the lasers)

3) All of my friends are invited and we meet several new cool people who are interested in everything we say and want nothing more than to admire our totally rad dance moves.

4) Some of my enemies show up, and try to get into the most dominant party of all time. I tell my enemies that they are welcome to come in, and I take them to a secret room that is a double mirror and lock them in, so they are forced to watch us have the most awesome time. Meanwhile Big & Rich is playing their greatest hits in a loop in the secret room. Also, there are several Cobrasnakes roaming around the secret room that also breath fire (these are very rare).

5) The show lasts several hours, during which time, several of my friends (including my cat, Sam) guest star for various songs. The compilation reaches 10x Platinum status. Nice work everyone.

Shout out to my soon to be ex-roommate, Mary. Hopefully, you will realize your own personal "Midnight" this being your last official weekend in town.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment