Thursday, March 18, 2010

Song of the Week (Blockhead - Triptych Part 3)

First off: shout out to the young and talented Jody Staggs for his solid guest post from one of my personal favorite artists: David Gilmour (50% of Pink Floyd). Well played sir. The lasers certainly brightened up my Friday.

Now to this week. Ever since I got my life-changing Akai XR-20 (it's a drum machine), I've been on a pretty massive exploration of all things with Electronic beats. Warning: One can't walk into Electronica without standards. There's a lot of terrible terrible sh!t out there, of course. With that said, my prerequisites lately have been the following:
1) Legit beat (clearly a must)
2) Chilled out vibe
3) Melodic
4) Radd

Blockhead duz it with his 2004 EP: Music by Cavelight (Triptych part 3 especially)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S07Xm3JIhZU

So I was running the other day, listening to my recently acquired Blockhead album, and this song came on. After the first 45 seconds I was like: Ok...this is pretty cool. 15 second later this bassline came on and slapped me in the face with some of the most awesome pain of 2K10. And then the sampled vocals came on, and I was like: F Yes! I felt like I was in a movie, where I was doing something super cool like attacking bad guys.

You can imagine my excitement when I actually checked out the video. I don't want to spoil the surprise (you'll find out in the first 30 seconds). Needless to say...the video alone fulfills the "Radd" prerequisite.

I want each of you to try listening to this song while doing something Radd. Here are a few suggestions:
1) riding a bike
2) petting a kitten
3) eating a doner kebab
4) beating a Nintendo game (original NES of course...bonus if it's Mike Tyson's Punchout)
5) grocking a model (Spence / DP - you know what I'm talkin about)

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment