Friday, May 28, 2010

Song of the Week (Talking Heads - Once in a LIfetime)

Before the advent of Youtube and the widespread dissemination of awesome music videos, the kid with a Limewire-pirated Talking Heads video was the one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

I could go on for hours about the merits and subtle nuances of Stop Making Sense: the groundbreaking Concert Music Video the Talking Heads put out in 1984. The Big Suit, when Tina Weymouth switches her pants for a hot skirt, David Byrne being David Byrne, etc. Many a late night was spent viewing this masterpiece with buddies, and creeping out girls with our unhealthy fascination with the "Big Suit" or the "Psycho Killer Dance".

"You may ask yourself - Well...how did I get here?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU

You've all heard the song, and hopefully when possible you have employed one of many insanely rad David Byrne dance moves (as seen in the video):
1) The "How do I work this" arm pump
2) The "African arm chop" - one of my personal faves
3) The "80s Yuppie walk" - frequently seen at after-hours parties in the back room of Dorsia
4) The signature "Byrne Spasm" - often attempted, yet rarely replicated

I feel like I say this a lot: "This is my all-time favorite video" or some derivation of that. I'm pretty sure this really is my favorite video of all time. It's both superficial and introspective. It's both silly and serious. The only thing that could possibly make this video better is...you guessed it...lasers. Or at least a jungle cat...maybe a jaguar or something. I watched this video on my Dell Inspiron desktop computer no less than 50 times...basically until Bonzi Buddy and Virtua-Guy corrupted the sh!t out of my hardrive. Thanks Jonas & Friends.

This song is the quintessential 80s Middle Aged-Angst anthem. I'm sure this song sponsored a host of mid-life crises throughout the world. I just actually had a mini-quarter-life-crisis listening to this song and thinking about a not-so-distant event.

I remember waking up and finding myself on a brown leather couch
I found myself in a different part of Dallas
I looked outside at a small gray automobile
I found myself in a familiar house, with a malicious cat
How did I get here?
...so anxious...

In all seriousness, have a great Memorial Day Weekend. Better to wake up now than when you're 40.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment