Friday, June 25, 2010

Song of the Week (Echo & the Bunnymen - Bring on the Dancing Horses)

I've been waiting for a while to pick an Echo and the Bunnymen track. I found this week particularly appropriate given a very special concert on the horizon, featuring some up-and-coming maestros of the spoken word over multi-layered post-hip-hop space beats. One of the hottest new bands on the Dallas Music scene is called: Dragonball Z and the Lazer Catz, not to be confused with the equally hot, Post-Art Hip-Rock Outfit known as the Brobots. From what I understand, DBZ & TLC is more of a side project, but I caught a glimpse of their chops last night, and let me just say: OMFG!

Of course, Echo and the Bunnymen was one of several key influencers. For the un-indoctrinated, Echo and the Bunnymen are a post-punk 80s band from the UK. These guys took angst to a level rivaling that of 80s' John Cusack. As legend has it, 'Echo' was the name of their drum machine, and the Bunnymen were the human musical counterparts.

This particular song, "Bring on the Dancing Horses" is accompanied by a very strange video, which will scare young children, but I kinda like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaWs79v0ugE&feature=related

As an aside, I got a haircut today, modeled after Bunnyman, Ian McCulloch (the vocalist).











After I got my haircut, I traveled up to the highest mountain in Dallas, and I stared at the oncoming clouds in wonder and befuddlement. After the clouds betrayed me with rain, I drove back to work in silence. OK, that didn't really happen, but I did get a haircut today. My boss, Phil, said it looks good. He doesn't just go throwing compliments around either. So recognize.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment