Thursday, August 5, 2010

Song of the Week (Aerosmith - Living on the Edge)

I went with my amigo PT to see Aerosmith at Superpages Center this week. It pretty much kicked ass. And that's saying a lot for a band that is as dependent on Steven Tyler's stage presence and vocal wizardry as it is on simply rocking. Steven Tyler is 62! Are you f'ing kidding me? Most 60-year-olds I know (in particular, the ones that make me feed their cat when they are gone for 1 day) are fast asleep by the time Aerosmith is going into their 1st Encore. FYI...they had 3 encores.

Aerosmith gives me hope that the guitar solo isn't dead. Listen to any Aerosmith song, and you'll hear a smokin' Joe Perry solo. Specifically, Living on the Edge holds a special place in my formative Elementary School Chronicles. "Get a Grip" was my 2nd tape ever. Preceded by MC Hammer's "Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em" and followed by Weird Al Yankovic's "Off the Deep End". That'll take you back. I think "Get a Grip" may have saved me and my Sister from killing each other on family vacations circa 1993.

"Living on the Edge" brings back memories of headbanging on the way to Rapid Revolutions (a skate park where...you guessed it...we roller-bladed). Roller-blading wasn't so gay in 1993...so long as you paired your roller-blades with black Francois Girbaud jean shorts and a No Fear shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqcL0mjMjw


This video touches on just about every contemporary moral problem a teenager faced in the 90s, and you can tell which of these Aerosmith endorses:
1) Vandalism (F0r)
2) School shootings (Against)
3) Teacher - student extra-curricular relations (Gray area)
4) Train accidents (Against)
5) Pre-marital sex (For)

It also may suggest what John Conner was doing before the T1000 came looking for him...you know...for Termination purposes.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

2 comments: