Friday, August 13, 2010

Song of the Week (M.I.A. - XXXO)

Unicorns, leopards, swans, swords, technology and M.I.A. Now THAT is a party I want to be at.

This new album has been a long time coming. Similar to the first album, I like about half, and I'm not too stoked about the rest. However, I ended really liking Kala after several listens, so I will reserve ultimate judgment for another day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbQ5mHWkOs

"XXXO", or more literally: Kiss Kiss Kiss Hug, is a pretty stellar dance track from a respectable artist. I think it's a commentary about social injustice. Regardless of the meaning, this is a killer song that warrants several plays on the "Get Ready for the Night Mix"...don't act like you don't have one. If I heard the DJ at the Slip Inn spinning this, I'd probably be like: "F yeah!" To be honest, I just feel a lot more comfortable attempting complex robo-dance moves to M.I.A. than to Rihanna...I'm just sayin'. Once Rihanna builds a little street cred (i.e. she gets a Tamil Tiger freedom fighter for a father), maybe I'll change my tune. I'm just playin'. F Rihanna.

Full disclosure: I've had a crush on M.I.A. since 2004. Why?
1) She is smokin' ballz (explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcpj4dM_VC8)
2) She does all of her own artwork
3) She's from Sri Lanka (Do you know anything about Sri Lanka?)
4) All her videos are awesome

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment