Friday, September 10, 2010

Song of the Week (Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise)

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life
And realize there's nothing left."

When you hear those lyrics you think 2 things:
1) Sh!t's about to get real
2) Coolio is about to get Ice'd

Can you believe Coolio got Ice'd by a bunch of frat daddies? I've heard of selling out, but geez Coolio...show some self respect. Whatever happened to homies watchin' how they talkin' and where they walkin'? I figured those Ice-ors would have been lined in chalk by now. Coolio, thou hast lost thine edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUTJgk0HFqw

Gangsta's Paradise gets the nod this week for a funny reason. One of my buddies started "hollerin' at" a hipster chick with a full back tattoo scripted with song lyrics. I asked another buddy what song lyrics she had tatted on her back. He replied: "I'm pretty sure it's Gangsta's Paradise". At the time (we were at Barcadia), my mind couldn't even comprehend the depth of how preposterous this was, so of course I bought it.

I'm not gonna lie, a part of me likes girls with tattoos, so I can totally understand the interest here. I have since learned that the lyrics are not those penned by Coolio, but of some other poet whose identity I've yet to discover. Maybe it's Shel Silverstein or Daryl Hall.

What if you were forced to get a tattoo of song lyrics on your back? What would you choose? I'm pretty sure I would pick something silly like "Bananas in Pajamas" (it's catchy) or "West End Girls".

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment