Friday, September 17, 2010

Song of the Week (Hipster Special Edition)

It came to my attention that I neglected to send out my usual "reminder" email. My bad.

I hope SOTW loyalists will accept this double feature of awesomeness as penance for said transgression.

I came across 2 important songs over the last week. One song illustrates the growing counter-culture of anti-hipsterism. The other song illustrates the absolute worst kind of hipster: the Crunk Autotune Screamo Hipster. Is there anything worse? Seriously?


I give you: "Freaxxx" by Brokencyde (btw...the "xxx" was no mistake...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0&feature=player_embedded#!
Let's take a dive into the world of Brokencyde. I'm not gonna lie. I f'ing hate these guys. And yet, I'm somewhat intrigued by the most pure form of terrible I have ever seen. This video looks like it was filmed at a party I went to in High School, and immediately regretted attending. I mean what made these guys think this is OK? Cuz it's not.

Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any more ridiculous, the word is re-defined when Mikl drops some serious screaming on several girls. Look girls, if you lie to Mikl, he's gonna scream at you. Oh what's that? You didn't get the memo? Prepare to get screamed at!

Oh snap...did Mikl just faux-strangle that girl?

One word of advice to Brokencyde: get some cooler looking friends. Some of these guys look like you picked them up from a 24-hour Jolt Cola-infused World of Warcraft marathon.

Brokencyde, I hope you get beat up.


I now give you: "Being a Dickhead's Cool" by The GrandSpectacular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

OK...I know what you're gonna say: JZ, don't you have a synth? Didn't I see you wearing a V-neck the other night? Yes I have an f'ing synth, and it's f'ing rad! The hipster culture does not own the synth. Brian Eno owns the synth. Also, my V-neck was not deep-cut. Everyone knows that hipsters only wear deep-cut Vs...FACT.

With that out of the way, we can get to the task at hand: anti-hipsterism. Where did this come about? Why get angry at hipsters? They didn't do anything to you...except silently judge you for being so square.

The Grand Spectacular obviously gets it. It's tough not being a hipster in a hipster-dominated world. I mean who here hasn't worn normal fitting jeans and been scoffed at by the likes of the faux-tux shirt and jean short wearing, ironic haircut sporting, cigarette/cocktail combo hipster? Man I hate that guy...(taken in front of the Granada at the Dinosaur Jr. Concert)


There is middle ground here. You can have unique style and even be slightly ironic without being a dickhead. But the catch is...you have to stop being such dickhead all the time. Brokencyde...there is no hope for you.

Hope you Dig,
JZ

No comments:

Post a Comment